Festive Tengboche Trek: The Mani Rimdu Festival
Presenting the panoramic view of the popular Himalayan Mountains which include Mt.Everest, Nupche, Ama Dablam, Lhotse, and Thamserku, Tengboche has been one of the most beautiful place of the Everest Region. Besides the beautiful scenic beauty, calm and relaxing environment, this place is also popular by its culture and traditions.
Every year the old Buddhist Tengbuche Monastery located at an altitude of 3867 meter high celebrates the Mani Rimdu Festival. This festival is celebrated for the victory of the Buddhism over 'Bon' religion.The symbolism of Mani Rimdu takes its roots in the re-creation of mythical events; the establishment of Buddhism in Tibet by the great saint Guru Rinpoche (Pasmasambhava). The monks perform this festival by presenting comic plays, historical sacred mask dance called 'Chham' and the fire dance Jinsak .Through these dances, the demons are conquered, expelled or converted to Dharma Protectors.The Mani Rimdu festival is celebrated from the first day of the tenth month of the Tibetan lunar calendar, falling between mid-october and mid-november.this festival is a 19 days sequence of sacred ceremonies and empowerments culminating in a public festival lasting for three days. It is an opportunity for Sherpas and Tibetans to gather together within the monastic community and get blessings from the Rimpoche.
Tengboche monastry lies on the way to Everest Base Camp. 'Adventure Alternative Nepal' can make the Mani Rimdu festival with Everest Base Camp, Kala Patthar and Gokyo lake trek or just a Tengboche trek for those people with limited time.
The itinerary below is just designed for Mani Rimdu festival but we can prepare the tailored itinerary with Everest Base Camp, Kala Patther trek and Gokyo lake trek.
14 days - summary
- Day 01: Arrive at Tribhuwan International Airport (TIA) Kathmandu transfer to Hotel
- Day 02: Preparation for trek and Kathmandu valley sightseeing tour
- Day 03: Kathmandu to Lukla 2840m by Flight then trek to Phakding 2610m (3/4 hours)
- Day 04: Trek from Phakding to Namche Bazaar 3440m (5/6 hours)
- Day 05: Acclimatization Day:
- Day 06: Trek from Namche Bazaar to Tengboche 3860m (4/5 hours)
- Day 07: Mani Rimdu festival at Tengboche Monastery. Wang - blessing ceremony.
- Day 08: Second day at the festival. Witness the Cham - mask dance.
- Day 09: Third day at the festival. Witness the Jinsak - closing ceremony
- Day 10: Trek from Tengboche to Namche 3440m (4/5 hours)
- Day 11: Trek from Namche to Lukla 2840m (6/7 hours)
- Day 12: Lukla to Kathmandu by flight (45 minutes)
- Day 13: Leisure day in Kathmandu
- Day 14: Depart Kathmandu
Since the dates of the festival refer to the tibetan calender, we can only announce them end of March.
- International flight to and from Kathmandu
- Meals and drinks in Kathmandu
- Personal costs like drinks, laundry, hot showers, bottled water
- Trip Insurance
- Visa fees
- Tips for tour guide and driver
- Explore Kathmandu City
- Accommodation at the guesthouse in Kathmandu or Hotel with breakfast
- Full board accommodation in Tengboche
- English speaking guide
- Guide insurance and salary
- Government Tax
- Tourist service charge
- Internal flight