Manang Horse Festival
Traditionally Yartung festival is celebrating a return of horses and other livestock form the high mountain pastures. It’s also opportunity for the men to demonstrate the quality of their horses and their own ability. The winner of the races has to be both fast and skillful as the rider is requested to pick up the khata (silk ritual scarf) from the ground in full gallop. The races, which are held in between Manang and Braga villages, are followed with the interesting and colorful rituals in the local temples. Most people in Manang, both men and women, would wear their traditional dress and nearly every villages will take some part in the feast.
The Himalayan horse racing festival Yartung is celebrated in Manang village for centuries. The custom of Tibetan origin is the exciting exhibition of the horses‘ strength and riders‘ abilities and also authentic expression of the ancient culture of High Himalayas. Thanks to the extending road network and the timely announcement of the coming festival dates, experience of this unique event can be also shared by the organized trekking groups for benefit of the local community and Nepal‘s tourism sector as the whole.
Please contact us for more details.
Please note that the required number of participants is at a minumum of 2 and a maximum of 12 participants. Nevertheless, it doesn't mean that you have to be a group of 2 to book the trip.
17 days - summary
Day 11: Manang - Yak Kharka
Day 12: Yak Kharka – Thorung Phedi
Day 13: Thorung Phedi – Muktinath
Day 14: Muktinath – Jomsom
Day 15-16: Jomsom to Pokhara and then to Kathmandu
Day 17: Transfer to Kathmandu airport
Day 1-2: Kathmandu
Day 3: Kathmandu - Besi Sahar
Day 4: Leaving Besi Sahar - Dharapani
Day 5: Dharapani - Chame
Day 6: Chame – Pisang
Day 7: Pisang – Manang
Day 8-10: Manang Horse Festival
The festival takes place in June/July, the exact dates change each year. Please contact us to find out when the next one is.
- International flight to Kathmandu
- Meals and drinks in Kathmandu
- Personal costs like drinks, laundry, hot showers, bottled water
- Travel Insurance and Rescue
- Additional Porters if packs are overweight
- Visa Fee
- Airport departure tax for some tickets
- Sightseeing Tours
- Kathmandu arrival and departure by private Car / Bus
- Transportation Kathmandu to Besisahar and Dharapani
- Domestic flight from Jomsom Pokhara - Kathmandu
- Accommodation in Kathmandu for 3 nights - Twin Sharing o Accommodation in lodges/tea houses while on the trekking
- Three meals during the trek include hot drinks
- Annapurna Conservation Fee
- Tims Card
- Sherpa guides (English speaking, trained in first aid)
- Porters (max weight carried for you is 15kgs)
- Staff food, insurance and equipment